Friday, September 20, 2013

Goodbye for Now, Yaounde

Hello, blogosphere! I hope that you are all doing so well wherever you are. Tomorrow, I will be leaving Yaounde (the capital city) to go to Dschang (in the Western Region). This has been a crazy three weeks of adjusting to a new country where they speak other languages. Here are some of the things that I have done in the last week:
  • On Saturday, we went to a gorilla sanctuary where they bring rescued monkeys, gorillas, and chimpanzees. It was really amazing to see the animals so close! I would also like to add the disclaimer that it was a park. There are not primates just roaming the streets of Yaounde. Just so you know. 
  • I went to mass with my sister on Sunday. I did not understand all of it, or most of it, but it was still a really great experience. I stood when the people around me stood, and tried to say the words back when I was supposed to. It is not as easy as it looks, folks!
  • We visited the University of Yaounde I on Wednesday and met some students. It was really great to be back on a college campus after taking classes in the SIT office. Their campus is definitely bigger than Butler's. Some fun facts for those of you viewing from home: it is the largest and oldest university in Yaounde. A bachelor's degree is called a licence because a bacc is the equivalent of a high school diploma. It takes three years to get a licence, two years for a masters, and three years for a doctorate. Now that you are properly informed, I shall move on :)
  • My first essay is due today. Don't worry. I already finished it. I am not that bad at procrastinating when I'm in Cameroon. 
  • Also! I did my laundry for the first time in Cameroon this week. Let me tell you, it is a work out! I am so good and wringing out clothes now. So, if any of you need help when I get back, I am your girl. 
I will try to post again when we are in Dschang. Until next time, people of the interwebs. 


Here is a panorama of Yaounde that I took. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure what happened to my first comment.

    I love the picture. It makes me want to be there now. Can I borrow the picture to share with our partners?

    I love that you were able to experience church is a different language. That is so cool. Just imagine there are about 280 different languages in Cameroon and many of them can't understand a church service (if they attend one) because the Bible is not available yet in their language.

    ReplyDelete